Translational Medicine at Newcastle
Newcastle’s PtD programme is built around our core activity and track record in translational biomedical research and our strengths in stratified medicine, educational and training programmes in translational medicine and therapeutics, and our established research collaborations with industry.
Some of our recent translational medicine research programmes with industry include:
- Wellcome Translational Medicine and Therapeutics (TMAT) programme (AstraZeneca,Roche, GSK, Genentech and PTC Therapeutics)
- UK Primary Biliary Cirrhosis initiative (GSK, J&J, Novartis, Intercept, Falk Pharma, Medigene, Novimmune, Abbott, Innova, Pfizer and Lumena)
- Psoriasis Stratification to Optimise Related Therapies (PSORT) programme (Abbvie, Becton Dickinson, Celgene, Janssen, MedImmune, Novartis, Pfizer, Sanquin and Stiefel/GSK)
- Maximising Therapeutic Utility for Rheumatoid Arthritis (MATURA) initiative (Activiomics, Amgen, Genentech, J&J, MedImmune, Modiquest, Pfizer, Qiagen, UCB, Eli Lilly and CompleteGenomics)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis MAP consortium (Janssen, UCB, GSK, Roche, Abbvie, Amgen, Astra Zeneca, Pfizer, Medimmune, Eisai, BMS and Grunenthal)
Newcastle University also leads the NIHR Office for Clinical Research (NOCRI) Translational Research Partnership in Joint and Related Inflammatory Diseases, the GSK CRAFT Consortium and a £5m joint drug development programme with Astex Pharmaceuticals in novel cancer therapies.
Translational research is underpinned at Newcastle by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical and translational research facilities including four dedicated clinical research facilities (Clinical Ageing Research Unit, Clinical Research Facility, Sir Bobby Robson Clinical Trials Research Centre and Dental Clinical Research Facility), research-dedicated imaging modalities via the Centre for In-Vivo Imaging e.g. Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre, biobanking facilities courtesy of Newcastle Biomedicine Biobank and an MHRA and HTA accredited GMP-grade Cellular Therapies Facility.