A single call is now open for applications for funds from the Wellcome Trust Broadening our Horizons Scheme and MRC Proximity to Discovery Fund.
Applications will be assessed against the individual scheme guidelines and awarded from the funding scheme that best fits the proposal.
The MRC Proximity to Discovery Fund is aimed at improving the interface between academia and industry in the translational research space. Applications are invited for:
- Incoming Placements: To bring senior managers from industry into the University to work alongside academic colleagues. Examples of activity funded are: facilitated observation of specialised clinics, patient-focused meetings, 1 or 2 day workshops or fora considering unmet clinical need and therapeutic opportunities.
- Outgoing placements to industry: Open to researchers, core facilities’ staff, technicians and PhD students. To undertake short placements in industry to develop collaborations, strengthen existing skills or to develop skills and expertise in a new technique or discipline.
Applications are particularly welcomed where activity builds on previously funded PtD initiatives.
The Wellcome Trust ISSF Broadening our Horizons Scheme crosses all career stages and pathways (researchers, core facilities’ staff and technicians) and allows individuals to raise their research profile and, in so doing, that of Newcastle. The scheme will develop networks, foster the learning of new skills and expertise, and thereby develop research collaborations and multidisciplinary research ideas.
The scheme will provide funding to cover travel, accommodation costs and meeting expenses (where no external funding schemes exist for this purpose) to allow researchers to:
- attend specialist training courses and conferences;
- undertake short placements in other labs and scientific facilities to strengthen existing skills and/or to develop skills and expertise in a new technique or discipline;
- organise small meetings and sandpit events in order to bring researchers from different research disciplines together;
and for Early Career Researchers
- allow them to receive mentorship from a research leader in their field outside Newcastle in order to develop their own career and professional network and to increase links between external leaders and Newcastle.
MRC P2D and WT ISSF Broadening our Horizons – Application Form (2017)
Current submission deadline: 16th June 2017 to Marjorie.email@example.com